If you're a lover of classic tandoori chicken, a flavorful favorite when it comes to Indian food, then these crispy baked chicken wings tandoori style, are exactly what your tastebuds are looking for—done lickity split.
Chicken Wings Get a Tandoori Style Makeover
If I'm headed out to eat, chances are that I'm on my way to one of my beloved Indian restaurants for one of my favorite meals: tandoori chicken.
Marinated in warming and aromatic spices like coriander, garam masala, cumin, cayenne, turmeric, garlic, lemon juice and thick, creamy yogurt; the chicken is then baked off in a high temperature clay oven called a “tandoor”, where it takes on a beautiful (and colorful) char, with a scrumptiously crisp exterior.
And oh, how tasty it is!
But since most of us don't have a tandoor oven in our homes, how can we get all of those warming flavors, that kick of mild spiciness, that crisp outer texture and juicy center, all finished in a flash?
Bake those chicken wings, with all the same tandoori spices!
How to Bake Chicken Wings to Flavorful, Crispy Perfection
First, proper marination is a must!
Meaty drumettes are marinated in all those delectable ingredients—the yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, and all the wonderful spices.
Then, once they've absorbed all that tasty flavor, they're baked at a nice high temperature—450°—to help create that char and crispness.
The result is as close as you can get to the flavor of authentic tandoori chicken, in chicken wing form.
And because they're baked, they're lighter and healthier as well.
How Long to Bake Chicken Wings
Baked chicken wings are done in a snap—all hot, fresh, crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside.
Let's just say once you place these into your oven, you'll be licking your fingers from these spicy little morsels in less than half an hour—about 25 minutes!
So the next time you're craving crisp, delicious chicken wings with a totally unique twist, reach for this simple chicken wing recipe and turn your own oven into a “tandoor” oven with these crispy baked chicken wings.
Tips & Tidbits
• Marinate for bold flavor: While you can certainly marinate for a short period of time (even 20 minutes) and still have great flavor, the key to the intense and deep flavor with these is allowing time for the wings to marinate for at least two hours, or overnight, which is even better.
• Drumettes for meatiness: I like to use the portion of the wing that is the drumette for this recipe, as these contain the most meat; but you can use the end wings, as well, or a combo of both.
• Flip on the broiler at the end for extra char: I like to turn my broiler on high for the last 2-3 minutes of baking to create a bit of extra char and crispness on the wings. Just take care not to walk away, or you'll end up burning your wings—not tasty.
Feast your eyes on these, or just jump to the recipe:
Crispy Baked Chicken Wings Tandoori Style
by Ingrid Beer
Yield: Serves 2-4
Prep Time: 2 hours (includes marination)
Cook time: 25 minutes
• 1 – 1 ½ pounds chicken drumettes and/or wings
• Black pepper
• 1 ½ teaspoons paprika (not hot)
• 1 teaspoon, heaping, garam masala
• ½ teaspoon turmeric
• ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
• ½ teaspoon ground cumin
• Pinch or two cayenne pepper
• ½ cup full-fat, plain, Greek yogurt
• 2 teaspoons lemon juice
• 3 cloves garlic, pressed through garlic press
• ½ teaspoon freshly grated ginger
• Dash or two (or more!!) Sriracha, depending on your desired level of spiciness
• Cilantro leaves, for garnish
• Cool Minted Yogurt Dipping Sauce (recipe below)
-To a large bowl, add the chicken drumettes/wings, and pat them dry with a paper towel.
-Add to them ½ teaspoon of the salt, ¼ teaspoon of the black pepper, the paprika, garam masala, turmeric, coriander, cumin, and cayenne, and using your hands, mix/rub the spices into the chicken; set aside for a moment.
-In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, and sriracha, and mix to blend; pour this mixture over the chicken, rubbing it into the chicken, and allow it to marinate for at least 2 hours, up to overnight.
-When ready to bake, preheat your oven to 450°; line a baking sheet with foil, and place a wire rack over the baking sheet.
-Remove the chicken from the yogurt marinade, and allow the excess to drip off; place the wings onto the wire rack, and bake in the oven for about 25 minutes, until slightly charred and crisp.
-Serve garnished with a some cilantro leaves, and the Cool Minted Yogurt Dipping Sauce on the side.
Cool Minted Yogurt Dipping Sauce Ingredients:
• 1 cup full-fat, plain, Greek yogurt
• 2 small cloves garlic, pressed through garlic press
• ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
• ½ teaspoon lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon, heaping, chopped fresh mint
-Add all of the ingredients up to and including the mint to a small bowl, and add in a couple of good pinches or salt (however much you desire for flavor); mix with a fork, and use immediately, or keep covered and in the fridge until ready to use.