Chicken fajita pizza is a super zesty and fun result of “mashing up” two of our favorite meals, chicken fajitas and pizza! Quick and easy to prepare using good quality, store-bought, personal-size pizza crusts, my chicken fajitas pizza recipe features strips of smoky grilled chicken, caramelized peppers and onions, plus my quick homemade fire roasted tomato sauce!
When Chicken Fajitas Meet Pizza...
If you've been following me here for a little while now, you probably have at least a little inkling that I like to have some fun with mash up recipes...
I simply can't resist taking two beloved foods and putting them together to see what happens, and often find a bit of magic in the process. (You can check out my Philly Cheesesteak Stew, my Italian Drunken Noodles, or my Gumbo-laya as examples of a few of my most popular mash ups!)
Take this recipe for chicken fajita pizza, for example...
I've always been a sucker for a hot, sizzling platter of chicken fajitas filled with caramelized onions plus strips of red and yellow bell peppers, and I've always utterly adored pizza...
So, when I thought of these two entrees “married”, it just seemed to make perfect flavor sense to me.
I created this zesty and zippy little recipe to tickle our tastebuds with, for those occasions when we can't decide on which dish we're craving more!
Quick and easy to prep using good quality, pre-packaged and par-baked personal pizza crusts, a fire roasted tomato sauce, seasoned strips of grilled chicken, grilled peppers and onions, plus a Mexican cheese blend and fresh cilantro, this chicken fajita pizza recipe is the perfect mash up fit for your next pizza night!
My Recipe for Chicken Fajita Pizza
There's so much flavor packed into this chicken fajita pizza, and the best part? You get lots of fresh, homemade flavor with just a few pantry staples.
Because I'm making this pizza recipe to yield personal size pizzas, I'm opting for par-baked, personal-size pizza crusts here (you can use Boboli or your favorite brand), and then just adding a few mouthwatering toppings...
I love a fire roasted tomato sauce for some zip, and prepare that by simply using good quality, organic, fire roasted tomatoes that I add to my food processor and process with a bit of garlic, cilantro, salt and pepper—that's it!
And because some juicy seasoned chicken is in order, I sprinkle some paprika and cumin over skinless, boneless chicken breasts before a quick trip to the grill pan, then slice those into strips.
Of course, some caramelized red and yellow bell pepper are needed if we're talking fajitas, so those go into the grill pan next, for sweet-smoky flavor.
Here's a sneak peek at my Chicken Fajita Pizza recipe: (or just jump to the full recipe...)
- To get started, I prepare my fire roasted tomato sauce by placing all of the ingredients into the bowl of my food processor, and processing until well blended, then set this aside.
- Next, I season my chicken breasts and grill them for a few minutes per side until cooked through, then allow them to rest for a moment before slicing them into strips.
- Into the same grill pan, I add my onions and red and yellow slices of bell peppers, and allow those to grill and caramelize for a few moments. I then remove those veggies and set them aside.
- To assemble and bake the chicken fajita pizzas, I add some of the fire roasted tomato sauce to each par-baked, personal pizza crust, then sprinkle over a touch of the cheese, then top with some chicken, grilled peppers and onions, and add more cheese.
- I bake for 10 to 15 minutes (per pizza crust package instructions), then finish the pizzas with fresh cilantro, and enjoy.
Chicken Fajita Pizza
by Ingrid Beer
This chicken fajita pizza recipe is prepared with a fire roasted tomato sauce, seasoned grilled chicken, plus caramelized peppers and onions!
Yield: 4 personal pizzas
Nutrition Info: 1133 calories (per personal pizza)
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Chicken Fajita Pizza Ingredients:
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Olive or avocado oil
- Black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 large onion, halved and slice thinly into semi-circles
- 4 personal-size, par-baked pizza crusts (such as Boboli brand, or other)
- 4 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
Fire Roasted Tomato Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can organic, diced and fire roasted tomatoes (with green chilies, if available)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pinch black pepper
- Begin by gathering and prepping all of your fire roasted tomato sauce ingredients according to the ingredient list above to have ready and organized for use.
- To prepare the sauce, place all ingredients into the bowl of a food processor, and process until well-blended with a smooth, sauce-like consistency. Set aside until ready to use.
- Next, gather and prep all of your chicken fajita pizza ingredients according to the ingredient list above to have ready and organized for use.
- Place the chicken breasts into a bowl, and drizzle over a touch of oil. Add a couple of good pinches of salt and pepper, plus the cumin and the paprika, and toss well to coat.
- Place a grill pan (or cast-iron skillet) over medium-high heat, and drizzle in about 2 tablespoons of the oil. Once hot, add in the chicken and grill (or sear) until golden-brown and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side, depending on thickness of chicken breasts. Set aside to allow them to slightly cool before slicing the meat into strips.
- Turn the heat up under the grill pan (or skillet) to high.
- Next, add in a bit more oil if needed, and then add in the peppers and onions, and allow them to sit undisturbed for a couple of moments to form a slight char. Then, toss them with tongs and allow them to form a char on the other side, just until they're crisp/tender. Remove from pan.
- Preheat your oven to 425°, or to the temperature that the package for your pizza crusts suggests, and line a baking sheet (or two) with foil.
- Place the crusts onto the baking sheets, brush them with a little oil.
- Top each crust with some of the fire roasted tomato sauce, then a tiny amount of the cheese, followed by the chicken and peppers/onions. Then, add more cheese over top, and bake for about 10 to 15 minutes (or according to the time specified on your crust package), or until the crust is baked through.
- To finish, sprinkle over some fresh cilantro, cut the chicken fajita pizza into wedges, and enjoy.
Tips & Tidbits for my Chicken Fajita Pizza recipe:
- Pre-packaged, personal-size pizza crusts: To make your pizza making experience a lot easier, I'm opting for pre-packaged, personal-size pizza crusts here that are already par-baked. Typically, I use Boboli brand, but feel free to use your own favorite, as there are a number of different crusts to choose from these days.
- Rotisserie chicken in a pinch: If you'd like to streamline things even more, you can use rotisserie chicken and skip the step of grilling your own. Simply chop or shred the breast meat, sprinkle over the spices (as directed in the recipe), and top your pizza with that. You could also use any pre-cooked chicken you already have on hand and would like to use up.
- Tasty cheese of your choice: I'm opting for a Mexican cheese blend here, because I love the various flavors in it. But other terrific options are Jack cheese, jalapeno Jack cheese, mozzarella, or white cheddar.
Cook's Note: This recipe was originally published in 2015, and has been updated with even more love!