Craving a salmon burger recipe with a bright, fresh and healthy twist? My Mediterranean salmon burgers are seasoned with fresh dill, shallots, lemon and spices before a quick sear in a hot skillet, then slathered in a creamy lemon-dill sauce and topped with cucumbers, tomatoes and red onion!
Salmon Burgers with a Mediterranean Twist
Since my hubby and I love to enjoy salmon for dinner a few times per month, I've been having a bit of fun challenging myself to new and creative ways of preparing and serving it up to keeps things fresh and interesting.
Typically, I'll prepare skinless salmon fillets by dusting them in spices and searing them off in a hot cast iron skillet, or broiling them in the oven until slightly crisp and golden-brown, then topping with lemon, herbs, or a fresh salsa.
But when I recently had a craving for healthy, bright and flavorful burger-with-a-twist, one with lots of cool, fresh veggies and a bright, creamy sauce, I had a hunch that a salmon burger recipe kissed with Mediterranean flavors would be an absolutely delicious way to go.
My Mediterranean salmon burger is prepared with fresh salmon, lots of spices and aromatics, plus fresh herbs. Seared off just until golden-brown on the outside and juicy on the inside, this tasty burger is then topped with spicy arugula, cool cucumber, tomato and red onion, plus a creamy lemon-dill sauce kissed with feta cheese for a bright and sunny little taste of the Mediterranean!
My Salmon Burger Recipe with Creamy Lemon-Dill Sauce
When preparing my salmon burger recipe, I like to use as few binder ingredients as possible to really allow the flavor of the fresh salmon to come through.
I like to use fresh, skinless salmon fillets for my recipe, and chop the salmon into two different textures in order for the delicate patties to hold together with the remaining ingredients.
For this recipe, I use a total of 10 ounces of salmon for two salmon burgers. I cut half of the salmon into small cubes, then finely mince the remaining salmon into a very fine consistency resembling ground meat.
The finely minced salmon helps to bind the slightly larger cubes with a touch of panko breadcrumbs, some finely minced shallots, dill, spices, and lemon zest plus juice.
And that creamy lemon-dill sauce? It's absolutely irresistible, quickly and easily whisked up in a bowl with a touch of mayo, Greek yogurt, feta, dill, garlic, lemon and salt and pepper!
Here's a sneak peek at Mediterranean salmon burger recipe: (or just jump to the full recipe...)
- First, I prepare my salmon patty mixture by dicing half of my salmon into small chunks, then finely mincing the rest of the salmon until it becomes paste-like, and resembles ground meat.
- Next, I season the salmon mixture with my spices and aromatics, add the panic breadcrumbs, then gently form into two, equal patties, and chill for at least 1 to 2 hours, even overnight if making ahead.
- Next, I whisk up my creamy lemon-dill sauce to use on my burgers, and keep that covered and in the fridge until ready to use.
- When ready to prepare my salmon burgers, I sear off my salmon patties in some ghee or high-heat oil for roughly 3 minutes per side.
- To serve, I generously slather the top and bottom of the bun with the creamy lemon-dill sauce, add some arugula to the bottom bun, along with some cucumber slices, then add the salmon patty, some slices of tomato and red onion, followed by an extra sprinkle of feta cheese, then cover with the other bun and enjoy with pita chips or oven fries on the side.
Mediterranean Salmon Burgers
by Ingrid Beer
These Mediterranean salmon burgers are slathered in a creamy lemon-dill sauce, and topped with cool cucumbers, tomatoes and red onions!
Yield: 2 salmon burgers
Nutrition Info: 964 calories per burger
Prep Time: 40 minutes (does not include “chill” time)
Cook time: 6 minutes
Total time: 46 minutes
Salmon Burger Ingredients:
- 10 ounces skinless, boneless salmon
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons finely minced shallot (about 1 small shallot)
- 1 ½ teaspoons chopped, fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs (or regular breadcrumbs)
- Avocado oil or ghee, for cooking salmon patties
- 2 burger buns, toasted
- 1 cup arugula, for topping
- Sliced tomato, for topping
- Sliced red onion, for topping
- Sliced Persian cucumber, for topping
- Crumbled feta cheese, for topping
Creamy Lemon-Dill Sauce Ingredients:
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt (2% or 5% fat)
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons finely crumbled feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped dill
- 1 clove garlic, pressed through garlic press
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Black pepper
- Begin by gathering and prepping all of your salmon burger ingredients according to the ingredient list above to have ready and organized for use.
- Place your salmon on a cutting board in front of you, and cut/dice it into small chunks between ¼ to ½ inch in size. Place half of this salmon (about 5 ounces) into a medium-large bowl, and finely mince/chop the remaining half of the salmon until it becomes paste-like, or the consistency of ground meat. (You could also pulse in your food processor, if you prefer.)
- Add this paste-like salmon into the bowl with the diced salmon, then add in a couple of good pinches of salt and black pepper, the olive oil, and the remainder of the ingredients up to and including the panko breadcrumbs. Using your clean hands or a spatula, gently mix the salmon with these ingredients until well combined, and the mixture comes together fairly well.
- Shape this salmon burger mixture into 2 equal patties (the mixture will be quite delicate, which is normal), gently patting/pressing the patties until they hold together fairly well, roughly fitting the size of the buns you'll be using. Place the patties onto a plate, cover with plastic wrap, and chill for at least 1 to 2 hours, or even overnight, if prepping ahead.
- While the salmon burger patties chill, gather and prep all of your creamy lemon-dill sauce ingredients according to the ingredient list to have ready and organized for use.
- To prepare the sauce, add the Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, crumbled feta, chopped dill, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, plus a couple of pinches of salt and black pepper to a bowl, and whisk to blend. Cover with plastic wrap and keep cold in the fridge until ready to use.
- To prepare your salmon burgers, place a non-stick skillet (I love my cast iron skillet for this) over medium-high heat and drizzle in about 3 tablespoons of the avocado oil or ghee. Once hot, gently place your salmon patties into the hot skillet and allow them to cook, undisturbed, for about 3 minutes on that first side. Then, very carefully and gently flip, and cook an additional 3 minutes on the second side, or until the patties are golden-brown and fairly firm to the touch when gently pressed in the center.
- Assemble your salmon burgers by generously slathering both top and bottom buns with the creamy lemon-dill sauce, then add some arugula leaves to the bottom bun. Next, add some cucumber slices, then a salmon patty, followed by red onion slices, tomato slices, and additional feta crumbles, if desired. Cover with top bun and enjoy.
Tips & Tidbits for my Mediterranean Salmon Burgers recipe:
- Fresh, skinless salmon fillets: For these burgers, I use 10 ounces of fresh, skinless salmon, and cut/chop the fresh fillets as directed by the recipe for a tender, succulent texture. Each salmon patty ends up being about 6 ounces (with all the other ingredients added in).
- Double the recipe to make four burgers: If you'd like to make four burgers instead of two, then simply double the ingredients. You will need 20 ounces of salmon, and then simply double the breadcrumbs, spices, aromatics, and even the ingredients for the creamy lemon-dill sauce.
- Make the salmon patties ahead: To keep things extra quick and easy on the day you'd like to serve these burgers, prep the salmon patty mixture and form the patties the day before. Just keep them on a plate, covered, in the fridge, and take them out about 10 to 15 minutes before searing them off. You can also prep the sauce and toppings ahead.
- Tasty sides to serve with your salmon burgers: I love to serve crispy potato chips or pita chips, or these oven fries, or this couscous salad on the side of my salmon burgers.