If you love a healthy morning smoothie and adore the rich, spicy flavors of pumpkin pie, then my pumpkin pie smoothie is sure to become a favorite fall breakfast treat. Blended with lots of good-for-you ingredients such as low-fat vanilla Greek yogurt, organic pumpkin puree, a touch of real maple syrup, warm spices and a crumble of organic graham crackers, this creamy pumpkin pie smoothie is a nutritious option to enjoy all autumn long!
A Healthy Smoothie with a Pumpkin Pie Twist
A traditional Thanksgiving Day spread simply would not be the same without the decadent and delicious addition of the perfect pumpkin pie in all of its cool and creamy glory.
I, like many of you, cannot wait to sink my fork into a rich and silky slice!
And while I very much look forward to having that big slice of pie on turkey day, I begin craving the flavor of those warming pumpkin pie spices from the moment we officially hit the fall season each and every year, and have a hard time abstaining from eating pie all season long.
So in order to satisfy my taste for sugar-and-spice-and-everything-nice (or should I say everything naughty, haha), I like to get a little creative with some of the more healthy ingredients that are readily available in our markets, and create my own delicious concoctions that have a healthier slant—something that I can actually feel good about enjoying!
Enter this pumpkin pie smoothie recipe, blended up until rich and creamy with low-fat vanilla Greek yogurt, organic pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, maple syrup and just a few organic graham crackers.
It's a terrific healthy little breakfast or snack to enjoy in the morning or afternoon, brimming with those spiced pumpkin pie flavors we love during this time of year!
My Recipe for Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
Making a healthy smoothie at home is not only super fast and easy, but much less expensive than heading out to your local health food market to have one blended for you.
My pumpkin pie smoothie has just a small handful of ingredients, and those are meant to create that creamy, lightly sweetened and spiced flavor of pumpkin pie, without all the sugar, fat and calories—a win-win!
I like to cool this smoothie down with some ice, then add in all my ingredients to make things creamy, flavorful, a touch sweet, and that lovely golden-orange color that we love in pumpkin pie.
Here's a little sneak peek at my pumpkin pie smoothie recipe: (or just jump to the full recipe...)
- To get started, I get my blender ready and add in my ice.
- Next, I spoon in my low-fat, vanilla Greek yogurt and the remainder of my ingredients, reserving one graham cracker square for a topping.
- I blend the mixture very well for a few moments until the smoothie is creamy and completely blended, then pour into either two 8 ounce glasses if serving two people, or 1 16 ounce glass for a more substantial smoothie.
- To finish, I crush the remaining graham cracker and sprinkle it over top to recreate a “pie crust”, sprinkle on a touch more cinnamon, if desired, and enjoy!
Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
by Ingrid Beer
This healthy pumpkin pie smoothie is blended with vanilla Greek yogurt, maple syrup, organic pumpkin, graham crackers and spices!
Yield: 2 smoothies (8 ounces each)
Nutrition Info: 198 calories (per 8 ounce serving)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup (slightly heaping) ice
- 1 cup low-fat, vanilla Greek yogurt
- ½ cup organic pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon (scant) cinnamon
- 5 organic graham cracker squares (can use gluten-free, as well), divided use
- Begin by gathering and prepping all of your ingredients according to the ingredient list above to have ready and organized for use.
- Place the ice, yogurt, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and 4 of the graham cracker squares into your blender, and blend on high until completely smooth. Pour into 2, 8 ounce glasses, or 1, 16 ounce glass.
- Crush the 1 remaining graham cracker square, and sprinkle it over top of the smoothies as a “pie crust” garnish, and sprinkle over touch more cinnamon, if desired, and enjoy cold.
Tips & Tidbits for my Pumpkin Pie Smoothie recipe:
- Dairy-free pumpkin pie smoothie: If you'd prefer a dairy-free version of this smoothie, simply replace the Greek yogurt with a plant-based option. I personally love Culina vanilla coconut yogurt (best plant-based yogurt, in my opinion), but you can use any other non-dairy brand you prefer.
- Honey or coconut sugar in place of maple: Maple is one of the best unrefined sweeteners out there, and I love to use it in my smoothie recipes to create those darker, richer notes. Coconut sugar is another terrific substitute.
- Organic pumpkin puree is best: If you can find good quality, organic pumpkin puree, that is best. Just make sure you don't use pumpkin pie filling, as this is not the same and has lots of added ingredients such as sugar.
- Add flax seeds for extra omegas: We like to add in 1 tablespoon of flax seeds when we're looking to sneak in some additional omega fats, but take note that it will impart a slightly more “nutty” flavor to the smoothie—although, still delicious!
Cook's Note: This recipe was originally published in 2017, and has been updated with even more love!