If you're in the mood for a crispy, flavorful snack that's both scrumptious and good for you, then these Roasted Chickpeas with Garlic Parmesan Seasoning may just become your new go-to favorite.
A Roasted Chickpeas Recipe Worthy of My Own Craving
If you're a snacker like I am, then you're most likely always on the look out for healthier goodies that still satisfy that craving for something on the naughtier side (e.g. chips, anyone?!).
And when it comes to searching for inspiration these days, nothing beats Pinterest! I have a blast getting lost in the beautiful images of spaces and places, and drooling over all things food and drink. I often use it as a visual way to get my brain to think creatively about the food and recipes that I myself would like to play around with and share.
Recently, I noticed lots of delicious takes on roasted chickpeas popping up in my Pinterest feed and that gave me a strong hankering!
It was time to roast some chickpeas with a flavor profile of my own creation: parmesan, garlic, a touch of lemon, and a few other pinches of tasty seasonings.
And I nailed it—even if I do say so myself! 😉
Roasted Chickpeas, the Fun and Tasty Way to Snack Healthy
Crispy on the outside and slightly tender in the center, these babies are an ideal substitute for those potato chips, corn chips or other fried snack foods many of us typically like to reach for.
Roasted chickpeas can be loaded up with all sorts of unique flavors (the sky's the limit!) and still have that satisfying crunchy-chewy bite we love when we're craving something savory.
With their cheesy goodness, lightly kissed by garlic, a touch of lemon zest, and herbs, these roasted chickpeas are not only scrumptious, but they're packed with heart-healthy fiber and energizing protein—a true hero when it comes to super snacks!
(Even our dog Lola, lover-of-all-things-cheese, greedily gobbled up a small handful we gave her as a little treat, too!)
How to Roast Chickpeas
Preparing crave-worthy roasted chickpeas is easy:
- Simply pop open a couple of cans of good quality chickpeas (organic is best); drain, rinse and dry the chickpeas very well with a paper towel, picking off any loose skins you find as well.
- Drizzle generously with olive oil, about 2-3 tablespoons worth.
- Roast at 400° for 45 minutes until golden-brown on the outside (chickpeas should have a crisp exterior and a slightly chewy middle). Allow them to slightly cool.
- Finally, to give them that garlic parmesan flavor punch! Toss the crispy chickpeas in the finishing seasoning mix of grated parmesan, garlic, lemon and herbs once roasted and fresh out of the oven.
Roasted Chickpeas Tips & Tidbits:
- Best to eat them freshly roasted for crispy-ness: Roasted chickpeas tend to lose their crispy-ness fairly quickly (kinda like homemade popcorn), so enjoying them while freshly roasted is the best way to go; however, they get a wonderful “chew” as they sit for a day or so, which is also delicious.
- Give 'em a stir or a shake: Give the chickpeas a stir or shake the baking sheet to move them around when roasting for even browning.
- Season after they've slightly cooled: It's best when making flavored chickpeas to season after they've roasted to prevent the seasoning from burning in the oven; and since we're using parmesan as part of the seasoning for these, allow them to slightly cool to “warm-ish” before tossing them in the cheese mixture so that it doesn't soften/melt.
Feast your eyes on these, or just jump to the recipe:
Roasted Chickpeas with Garlic Parmesan Seasoning
by Ingrid Beer
Yield: Yields about 3 1/2 cups, serving about 7 with 1/2 cup servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes (includes roasting)
• 2 cans (15.5 ounces / 439 grams) organic chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry, loose skins removed
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese (I like the parmesan and romano cheese blend for extra flavor)
• 1 teaspoon granulated garlic (or garlic powder is fine)
• 1 teaspoon granulated onion (or onion powder is fine)
• 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
• 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
• Pinch black pepper
-Preheat the oven to 400°, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
-Add the chickpeas to a bowl, drizzle with the olive oil, and sprinkle with just a little salt; turn out onto the prepared baking sheet, and roast the chickpeas for 45 minutes, moving them around or stirring them every 10 minutes or so, until golden-brown; allow them to ever slightly cool.
-To make the seasoning, add the grated parmesan cheese to a small bowl or ramekin, along with a pinch of salt, the granulated garlic and onion, the dried parsley, lemon zest, and a pinch of black pepper; and toss to combine.
-Spoon the chickpeas into a bowl, and sprinkle in the parmesan seasoning; toss everything together to coat the roasted chickpeas, and enjoy freshly roasted!