If you like to enjoy a tasty yet healthy snack as much as I do, then you've got to try my oven roasted chickpeas. Quick and easy to prepare and utterly irresistible to munch on, this oven roasted chickpeas recipe comes with a delectably savory garlic-parmesan seasoning for lots of mouthwatering flavor!
Roasted chickpeas, the Fun and Tasty Way To Snack Healthy
If you're a snacker like I am, then you're most likely always on the look out for slightly healthier goodies that still quell that craving for something on the saltier side.
Enter oven roasted chickpeas...
This tasty snack has become all the rage as a favorite healthy option, with loads of flavor choices on supermarket shelves.
While these pre-packaged roasted chickpeas can be quite tasty, they can be quite expensive, which to me is a little odd seeing as they're just…well, chickpeas.
So it got me thinking that I'd like to start making my own oven roasted chickpeas recipe to snack on anytime my craving for something salty/savory comes along, and these turned out really yummy with their garlic-parmesan flavor, lightly kissed with lemon and herbs.
Delicious and fun to pop into my mouth? I'm in!
My Recipe For Oven Roasted Chickpeas with Garlic-Parmesan Seasoning
Crispy on the outside and slightly chewy in the center, these roasted chickpeas are an ideal substitute for those potato chips, corn chips, or other fried snack foods many of us typically like to reach for when the snacking monster strikes.
Because roasted chickpeas can be loaded up with all sorts of unique flavors and still have that satisfying toothsome texture we love when we're craving something savory, they're a terrific protein and fiber-packed pick, and the sky's the limit when it comes to flavor!
Since I love the flavor combination or garlic and parmesan cheese, I make my recipe for oven roasted chickpeas with that particular flavor profile, with a touch of lemon and herb sprinkled in for good measure.
Then, I let the snacking commence!
Here's my oven roasted chickpeas recipe at a glance: (or just jump to the full recipe...)
- To get started, I simply pop open a couple of cans of good quality chickpeas (organic is best), then drain, rinse and dry the chickpeas very well with a paper towel. I also pick off any loose skins that I find.
- Next, I drizzle the chickpeas generously with olive oil, about 2 to 3 tablespoons worth.
- Then, I roast the chickpeas at 400° for 45 minutes, or until golden-brown on the outside (chickpeas should have a crisp exterior and a slightly chewy middle). When done, I allow them to slightly cool.
- Finally, I give them that garlic-parmesan flavor punch by tossing the crispy chickpeas in my seasoning mix of grated parmesan, garlic, lemon and herbs.
- All that's left to do now is munch on 'em and love 'em!
Oven Roasted Chickpeas
by Ingrid Beer
These oven roasted chickpeas tossed in a savory garlic-parmesan seasoning make for a flavorful, protein-packed snack!
Yield: About 3 ½ cups
Nutrition Info: 260 calories (per ½ cup serving)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes (includes roasting)
Total time: 55 minutes
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans organic chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry, loose skins removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- Pinch black pepper
- Begin by gathering and prepping all of your ingredients according to the ingredient list above to have ready and organized for use.
- Preheat the oven to 400°, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the chickpeas to a bowl, drizzle with the olive oil, and sprinkle with just a little salt.
- Turn out onto the prepared baking sheet, and roast the chickpeas for 45 minutes, moving them around or stirring them every 10 minutes or so, until golden-brown. Allow them to ever slightly cool.
- To make the seasoning, add the grated parmesan cheese to a small bowl or ramekin, along with a pinch of salt, the granulated garlic and onion, the dried parsley, lemon zest, and a pinch of black pepper, and toss to combine.
- Spoon the chickpeas into a bowl, and sprinkle over them the parmesan seasoning. Toss together to coat the oven roasted chickpeas well, and enjoy freshly roasted.
Tips & Tidbits for my Oven Roasted Chickpeas recipe:
- Best to eat them freshly roasted: Roasted chickpeas tend to lose their crispness fairly quickly. So enjoying them while freshly roasted, the day of preparation, is the best way to go. However, they get a wonderful “chew” as they sit for a day or so, which is also quite satisfying!
- Give 'em a stir or a shake while roasting: When roasting chickpeas, give 'em a little stir or shake in their baking sheet to move them around when roasting for even browning.
- Season after they've slightly cooled: When making flavored chickpeas, it's best to season them after they've roasted to prevent the seasoning from burning in the oven. And since we're using parmesan as part of the seasoning for this recipe, allow them to slightly cool to a “warm-ish” temp before tossing them in the cheese mixture so that it doesn't soften or even melt.
- How to store oven roasted chickpeas: You can keep these in a ziplock bag or in a container. I usually don't cover them the first day that I make them, but if I have leftovers, I'll cover them.
Cook's Note: This recipe was originally published in 2017, and has been updated with even more love!