These scrumptious steak tacos are made with tender and juicy flank steak, and come complete with a creamy jalapeno sauce and a crisp citrus slaw for extra mouthwatering flavor! So when you're hungry for a delectably fresh and zesty south-of-the-border meal prepared at home, these are sure to hit the spot!
My Favorite Homemade Tacos are Steak Tacos
Little compares to that first bite taken out of a fresh, hot taco... I just love it when a steak taco is so juicy it drips all over the plate! 😉
Even though we have several great little hole-in-the-wall places near our home that offer up some really tasty Mexican fare in a pinch, I really love to prepare my own homemade tacos whenever I can, just so I can doctor them up exactly the way I like 'em.
Steak tacos happen to be one of my favorite kinds of tacos, and I find them to be a super cozy and flavorful meal to prepare at home with a plethora of fresh fix-ins such as cool slaw and a creamy and extra tasty jalapeno sauce to douse everything in!
Tender, succulent, and juicy, with just a hint of mild spiciness, my steak taco recipe is something I really enjoy when a vibrant Mexican-style meal is what I'm craving. In my book, they're the best kind of homemade taco!
What Makes This Steak Taco Recipe So Good?
Steak tacos can be prepared using different cuts of beef such as skirt steak, rib eye, or sirloin, but I love to go with the tender flank steak for my taco recipe.
Marination imparts lots of delicious flavor, so I marinate my flank steak (overnight, ideally) in lime zest and juice, garlic, and spices such as cumin, coriander, and smoked paprika.
Then, to get the best flavor, I grill the steak off either on my outdoor grill or in my grill pan, and slice it up against the grain before cutting into smaller cubes to easily spoon into corn tortillas.
And because steak tacos gain so much flavor from some colorful additions, I prepare a simple, cool citrusy slaw to stuff into the tortillas, along with a creamy, garlicky, and mildly spicy jalapeno sauce to generously drizzle over top of everything.
Talk about zesty and delicious!
Here's a quick glance at my steak taco recipe: (or just jump to the full recipe...)
- For starters, I marinate my flank steak in my seasonings/spices for at least 2 hours, or overnight ideally.
- Then, I prep my slaw, topping ingredients, and my mildly spicy and creamy jalapeno sauce. I keep all those elements cold until I'm ready to assemble my tacos.
- When ready, I grill up the flank steak, allow it to rest, then slice it up into small cubes.
- Finally, I assemble my steak tacos with generous spoonfuls of the flank steak, a healthy drizzle of sauce, some slaw, and some crisp radishes and cilantro!
by Ingrid Beer
Yield: Serves 4 (3 tacos each)
Nutrition Info: 328 calories per taco (with 2 tablespoons of sauce)
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 8 minutes
Total time: 38 minutes
Steak Tacos Ingredients:
• 1 1/2 pounds flank steak
• Avocado oil
• Black pepper
• Zest of 1 small lime
• Juice of 1/2 small lime
• 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon coriander
• 2 cloves garlic, pressed through garlic press
• Corn tortillas
• Radish slices, optional garnish
• Cilantro leaves, optional garnish
• Lime wedges, optional garnish
• 1 teaspoon orange zest
• 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
• 1 tablespoon lime juice
• pinch or two of salt
• 1 teaspoon agave
• 1/4 cup avocado oil
• 4 cups shredded cabbage
• 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves
Creamy Jalapeno Sauce Ingredients:
• 1 cup mayonnaise
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 6 cloves garlic
• 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
• 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves
• 1/2 jalapeno, roughly chopped (use less or more, depending on desired spice level)
• 1/4 teaspoon (slightly heaping) salt
• 1 teaspoon lime zest
• Juice of 1/2 lime
- Place the flank steak into a bowl or onto a large platter, and drizzle over about 1-2 tablespoons of oil; sprinkle over a couple of generous pinches of salt and pepper, plus add in the remainder of the ingredients up to and including the 2 cloves of pressed garlic, and toss to coat the meat; marinate for 2 hours, or even overnight.
- Prepare the slaw: into a small dish or jar, add the orange zest, orange juice, lime juice, pinch or two of salt, agave and oil, and either whisk together or cover and shake the jar very well; set this dressing aside until you are ready to serve the tacos, then toss with the shredded cabbage and cilantro.
- Prepare the creamy jalapeno sauce: add all of the sauce ingredients to the bowl of a food processor, and process until completely smooth; pour into a squeeze bottle (my preferred method), or keep in a covered container/bowl in the fridge until ready to serve with tacos.
- To grill the flank steak, place a grill pan or large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, and once hot, add the steak into the pan to sear and cook on that first side for about 4-5 minutes; then, flip and cook the steak for another 4 minutes, for medium-rare doneness; allow the steak to rest for 10 minutes.
- After the steak has rested, slice it against the grain, then cut into smaller cubes.
- To assemble the tacos, place a corn tortilla in front of you, and add in some of the steak; drizzle over a generous amount of the creamy jalapeno sauce, then add some slaw (tossed with the dressing), then a couple of slices of radish and some cilantro leaves, and repeat with more tacos.
- Serve with any remaining creamy jalapeno sauce on the side to add more to the tacos, plus your favorite chips and salsa!
Tips & Tidbits for My Steak Taco recipe:
- Tender, juicy steak: While you can certainly use your favorite kind of steak for these tacos, my preferred cut is flank steak, as it takes on the flavors of the marinade deliciously and grills up quickly to tender perfection. Also, marinating overnight is the best way to go for the most amount of flavor, but marinating for at least a couple of hours will also yield great results.
- How to slice flank steak: Flank steak has a “grain” to it, so it's important to slice this kind of steak against the grain and on the bias into shorter strips before cutting into small cubes. This way, each bite will be tender, scrumptious, and easy to chew!
- More or less spicy creamy jalapeno sauce: A good amount of kick is something that I personally enjoy when eating tacos, so I use half of a spicy jalapeno in my creamy sauce; but if you prefer things to be more on the mild side, then use less jalapeno, maybe just a couple of slices. 😉
- Dress the slaw before serving: My slaw is a very simple one and requires just a bit of orange and lime juice, salt, oil and agave to “dress” it. Dress the slaw as close to serving it as possible to keep it nice and crisp!
- Prep ahead for easy steak tacos: You can marinate the steak, have the slaw prepped in a bowl (not yet dressed), and prep the jalapeno sauce a day or so ahead of time; then, when you're ready to enjoy the steak tacos, simply grill the steak, dress the slaw, and assemble your tacos!