Cool and refreshing, my avocado salad is prepared with lots of bold, colorful ingredients such as charred corn, fresh tomatoes, bacon and a zesty lime dressing. It's a deliciously vibrant and nutritious offering that's perfect to share during the warmer months when avocados are delectably ripe!
Keeping It Cool and Healthy with Avocado Salad
There's something indescribably satisfying and pleasurable about being in the market and giving an avocado a squeeze, and finding that perfectly ripe specimen that has a delightful “give” making it just right.
My delicious avocado salad recipe has lots of fresh, zippy, colorful ingredients that offer lots of texture and flavor, such as charred corn kernels, red onion, red and yellow tomatoes, crispy bacon and Cotija cheese.
And the finishing topper? My creamy, homemade zesty lime dressing, which is a bit like a ranch dressing with some added spices and tang from fresh lime juice and zest—so scrumptious and wonderfully simple!
This cool and healthy avocado salad is an easy and colorful stunner of a side dish that packs a flavor punch, and is the perfect feast for both the eyes and the appetite!
An Avocado Salad Recipe Bursting with Flavor
Avocados have an incredibly neutral and delicate flavor, and pair deliciously with just about any ingredients you choose to toss them together with, which make them ideal for an avocado salad recipe.
They greatly benefit from a hint of tanginess, some sweetness, and some savory-smokiness, which is why I love to combine them with a creamy lime-infused dressing, sweet yet mildly spicy red onion, juicy red and yellow tomato wedges, charred corn, some crispy-crumbled bacon, a bit of Cotija cheese for a hint of savoriness.
All of these ingredients come together very simply on a platter to create not only a beautiful presentation for your table, but a refreshing offering perfect to serve alongside just about any main meal.
Here's a sneak peek at my avocado salad recipe with zesty lime dressing: (or just jump to the full recipe...)
- I like to begin by preparing my creamy lime dressing, so I give those ingredients a quick whisk to blend, then keep the dressing cold until ready to serve.
- Fresh corn kernels gain lots of extra flavor when charred, so I heat my cast-iron (or other heavy-bottom skillet) until very hot, then add my fresh corn kernels for a few minutes just until slightly smokey and charred.
- I arrange my avocado and tomato wedges on a platter decoratively, sprinkle over the remainder of the ingredients, then drizzle generously with the cool dressing and serve!
Avocado Salad with Zesty Lime Dressing
by Ingrid Beer
Yield: Serves 6
Nutrition Info: 340 calories
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Avocado Salad Ingredients:
- 2 ears fresh corn, kernels removed and patted dry of their milk
- Avocado oil
- 4 large, ripe avocados, halved, pit removed, and then cut into wedges and skin removed
- 1 large (or 2 small) red tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 large (or 2 small) yellow/orange tomatoes, cut into wedges
- ½ small red onion, sliced thinly
- 4 strips crispy-cooked bacon, chopped
- ¼ cup Cotija cheese
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
Zesty Lime Dressing Ingredients:
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon (heaping) salt
- Pinch black pepper
- Pinch (or two) ground cumin
- 2 large cloves garlic, pressed through garlic press
- Zest of ½ lime
- Juice of ½ lime
- Small drizzle agave or honey, if desired
- To begin, prepare the dressing by whisking together all ingredients in a small bowl, and keep cold until ready to use.
- To prepare the salad, char your corn kernels first by heating a cast-iron skillet (or other heavy-bottom pan) with a touch of avocado oil, and once hot, add in your kernels in a single layer (they may pop from a bit of leftover moisture in them, so take care not to stand right over them, or you can even cover pan with a lid).
- Allow the kernels to char on that first side for about 30 seconds to 1 minute; then, stir, and allow them to get some more color for about another minute or so; spoon out and allow to cool.
- Next, arrange your avocado wedges on a nice platter or large plate, then arrange over top the tomato wedges, and sprinkle over the red onion slices and the charred corn kernels; drizzle some of the zesty lime dressing over everything.
- Sprinkle over the crispy bacon, the Cotija cheese and the cilantro leaves, and sprinkle over just a pinch or two of salt and black pepper, and serve. (You can also prep a couple hours ahead of time— cover the platter in plastic and keep cold in fridge until ready to serve.)
Tips & Tidbits for my Avocado Salad with Zesty Lime Dressing:
- If your avocados are too firm: You can expedite the ripening process by placing your avocados into a paper bag on your counter top for day or two (or three, if really hard) until softened.
- Cut avocado last minute to keep it green: Avocado oxidizes and likes to turn a bit brown, so slice your avocados just before assembling your salad. (You can make this salad a couple of hours ahead of time without any problem with this, as long as you squeeze a bit of lime or lemon over top, drizzle the dressing over top, cover with the platter with plastic and keep in the fridge.)
- Fresh corn, instead: You can use fresh corn kernels cut from the cob if you don't feel like taking the extra step of charring them. They'll be sweet and delicious with a bit more crunch!
- Multicolored tomatoes, or just the red: I like to use the heirloom tomatoes that are red, yellow and/or orange for a colorful salad recipe like this; but if you can't find them, simply use nice, vibrant red ones.
Cook's Note: This recipe was originally published in 2017, and has been updated with even more love!