Cucumber salad is an incredibly refreshing side salad that goes deliciously with pretty much any main dish. Filled to the brim with Persian cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, a sprinkle of feta cheese, chickpeas, plus a trio of fresh herbs, my cucumber salad recipe brings lots of fresh flavor and crunchy textured to meal time!
Cool as a Cucumber Salad
Cucumber salad is something that I grew up on, and I absolutely adore it to this day.
My parents were immigrants from Eastern Europe, where cucumber salad is one of those very common staples that are enjoyed as a light, crisp and refreshing side with many different types of meals, lending that bit of cool crunch and a hint of tanginess that refreshes the palate.
Cucumber salad pairs perfectly with so many different types of cuisines and entrees!
My recipe here is a much more textured and hearty than the typical version, with a tasty little surprise in every bite.
Loaded the the brim with tomatoes, red onions, chickpeas, fresh herbs and feta cheese, then dressed in a light and easy combination of lemon and olive oil, it has a bit of a Mediterranean twist, and is wonderfully healthy and bright!
My Recipe for Cucumber Salad with the Works!
Cucumber salad is one of the easiest and most delicious salads that one can toss together.
I love the convenience of adding all of the ingredients to one bowl, then simply dressing everything with a generous drizzle of olive oil, a good squeeze of lemon juice, some sea salt (my favorite!), plus a twist of freshly cracked black pepper.
I like to use fresh Persian cucumbers, as these do not contain the large seeds and their skin is very thin so there's no need to peel them. Yummy and easy? I'm in!
I also love using sweet cherry tomatoes for added juiciness, along with a sprinkle of red onion for sweet kick, some feta cheese for salty-sharp creaminess, and some chickpeas for added texture and protein.
Here's a sneak peek at my cucumber salad recipe: (or just jump to the full recipe...)
- To get started, I add my sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, chickpeas, half of my feta cheese and half of my herbs to a large bowl.
- Next, I dress the cucumber salad with good olive oil, some fresh lemon juice and sea salt, then toss gently to combine.
- I sprinkle the remaining feta cheese and fresh herbs over top of the salad, and serve straight out of the bowl, or spoon into a serving dish to be served with my entree.
by Ingrid Beer
This cool cucumber salad is loaded with cherry tomatoes, red onions, chickpeas, feta cheese and fresh herbs, with a bright, lemony flavor!
Yield: Serve 6
Nutrition Info: 214 calories per serving
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
- 10 Persian cucumbers, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup chickpeas (rinsed)
- ¼ finely sliced red onion
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- Begin by gathering and prepping all of your ingredients according to the ingredient list above to have ready and organized for use.
- Place the diced cucumbers, the cherry tomatoes, the chickpeas, the red onion, ¼ cup of the feta cheese, half of the dill, half of the parsley and half of the mint into a large bowl; add the lemon juice and the olive oil, along with a couple of good pinches of sea salt, and gently toss together to combine.
- Spoon the salad out onto a serving platter or into a salad bowl, and sprinkle over top the remaining ¼ cup of feta cheese and the remaining herbs, and serve.
Tips & Tidbits for Cucumber Salad recipe:
- Persian cucumbers work great: I'm a huge fan of Persian cucumbers, as they're absolutely delicious, with a nice thin skin (they do not need to be peeled) and have virtually no seeds. However, feel free to use traditional cucumber, and if the skin is very waxy, peel it off before using.
- Cherry tomatoes for sweetness: Bright little cherry tomatoes add a bit of juicy sweetness, but feel free to use whatever tomatoes you have on hand, or that you prefer. Simply dice them up and add 'em in.
- Fresh herbs for extra flavor: I love the combination of fresh parsley, dill, and mint for this hearty salad, as this trio creates a really fresh and cool flavor. But you can use any one of these as opposed to all three, or even substitute cilantro, if you prefer.
- Substitute red wine vinegar for fresh lemon juice: You can substitute red wine vinegar for the lemon juice, if you prefer—it also adds a nice subtle and tasty tang.
- Make your cucumber salad ahead: If you'd like to prep the salad ahead of time, simply add all of your chopped veggies, feta, chickpeas and herbs to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and keep cold. Then, when you are ready to serve the salad, drizzle in the olive oil and the lemon juice, sprinkle in the sea salt, and toss everything together.
Hungry for more refreshing recipes? Check out this Tuscan-style White Bean Salad, this Avocado Salad with Zesty Lime Dressing, this Israeli Couscous Salad, this Bok Choy Salad, or this Italian Chopped Salad!
Cook's Note: This recipe was originally published in 2018, and has been updated with even more love!