Just in time for grilling season, these juicy, succulent lemon chicken skewers are a simple and delicious option to whip up and enjoy this summer. Brimming with lots of bright flavor and super easy to prepare, this lemon chicken skewer recipe features lemon and garlic-marinated chicken breasts along with sweet, juicy cherry tomatoes that are grilled and then drizzled with a savory garlic-herb oil to finish!
Chicken Skewers with a Lemony Twist
Ah, grilling season... we eagerly wait for these days when the sun is out, the weather is hot, and we can bring out all sorts of tasty food to enjoy on our patios or outdoor spaces, in the fresh air!
A fun and tasty meal to prepare during this time of year is this recipe for my succulent and flavorful lemon chicken skewers, grilled to perfection with colorful and sweet, juicy cherry tomatoes, plus a finishing drizzle of garlic-herb oil to make things extra savory and mouthwatering.
Easy to marinate and prepare, with just a few ingredients such as lemon, garlic, olive oil, fresh oregano and parsley, these lemon chicken skewers are ideal for an indoor grill pan, or even the outdoor grill, where they cook up in no time to create a health and vibrant meal, perfect for this time of year.
Served with some warm flatbreads on the side, salad, or even hot and fluffy rice, this lemon chicken skewer recipe is just the ticket during grilling season, when a light, delicious and quick meal is what you crave!
My Recipe for Lemon Chicken Skewers
This is one of those recipes that packs a lot of flavor, with very few ingredients, and I love that!
Chicken breasts are cut into bite-size pieces and marinated with olive oil, garlic, lemon, paprika, plus dried oregano and parsley for lots of earthy-yet-zippy flavor.
Then, the chicken is threaded onto skewers along with both red and yellow cherry tomatoes for a sweet, juicy burst of flavor before hitting the grill pan or outdoor grill.
It only takes a few moments on every side for these chicken skewers to cook through and get that delectable char, and for those cherry tomatoes to warm through and become nice and juicy.
All that's left is to finish them off with a generous drizzle of a simple garlic-herb oil for extra savory flavor!
Here's a glance at my lemon chicken skewers recipe: (or just jump to the full recipe...)
- To get started, I marinate my chunks of chicken breast and my cherry tomatoes for a few minutes or even overnight (if preparing ahead) with my marinade ingredients.
- When marinated, I thread the chicken and cherry tomatoes onto bamboo (or metal) skewers, alternating them for a bit of color.
- Next, I prepare my simple garlic-herb olive oil by whisking the ingredients together in a small bowl, and set aside.
- Then, I grill my lemon chicken skewers for a few minutes on each side, until the chicken is cooked through, the tomatoes are tender and juicy, and everything is charred.
- To serve, I place the lemon chicken skewers onto a platter, drizzle over my garlic-herb oil, and sprinkle over some fresh oregano leaves, and serve with flatbread, rice, or my desired accompaniment.
Lemon Chicken Skewers
by Ingrid Beer
These lemon chicken skewers drizzled with garlic-herb oil are a light, healthy and vibrant meal fit for grilling season!
Yield: Serves 4 (2 chicken skewers per person)
Nutrition Info: 342 calories (per 2 chicken skewers)
Prep Time: 20 minutes (does not include marination)
Cook time: 16 minutes
Total time: 36 minutes
Lemon Chicken Skewers Ingredients:
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size cubes
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Pinch paprika
- 6 cloves garlic, pressed through garlic press
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 24 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, fo garnish
Garlic-Herb Oil Ingredients:
- 1 large garlic clove, pressed through garlic press
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Begin by gathering and prepping all of your chicken skewer ingredients according to the ingredient list above to have ready and organized for use.
- Add the cubed chicken to a bowl, and drizzle in about 3 tablespoons of oil. Add a couple of good pinches of salt and black pepper, the dried oregano and parsley, the paprika, the garlic, and the lemon zest and juice. Add in the cherry tomatoes, and toss everything well to coat.
- Skewer equal portions of the meat and tomatoes onto water-soaked wooden skewers (prevents them from burning during grilling), and allow to marinate for 20 to 30 minutes, or even overnight, if doing ahead. (You should have a total of 8 chicken skewers.)
- While the chicken skewers marinate, gather and prep all of your garlic-herb oil ingredients according to the ingredient list above to have ready and organized for use.
- To prepare the oil, whisk together all ingredients and keep in a ramekin or small bowl. Set aside while chicken skewers marinate, or keep in fridge.
- To grill the lemon chicken skewers, set a grill pan over medium to medium-high heat (or you can prep your outdoor grill), and add a batch of skewers, cooking them for several minutes on each side until the meat is golden-brown and slightly charred, and cooked through. Repeat with all skewers.
- To finish, place the lemon chicken skewers onto a serving platter. Drizzle the garlic-herb oil all over the skewers, and sprinkle the fresh oregano leaves over top. Serve with flatbreads, rice, or salad.
Tips & Tidbits for my Lemon Chicken Skewers recipe:
- Fresh herbs and dried for flavor: To pack a lot of herby flavor punch for these chicken skewers, I like to use both dried oregano and parsley, as well as fresh as a finishing touch. This offers lots of earthy flavor, with a little milder, fresher note at the end.
- Red and yellow cherry tomatoes, for color: Because I love the color of both red and yellow cherry tomatoes, I'm using a combination of the two. Feel free to use only red or only yellow, or even a colorful medley of heirloom-style cherry tomatoes, if desired. These offer sweet, juiciness in every bite!
- Prepare lemon chicken skewers ahead: These are the ideal meal to prep ahead, as the longer you marinate, the better the flavor! I like to marinate overnight, typically, to help have things prepared and ready to grill the next day. Just simply add the chicken and tomatoes to a bowl, add the marinade ingredients and toss to coat, then thread onto your skewers and keep on a platter. When ready to grill the skewers, just whisk together the garlic-herb olive oil, then grill the chicken skewers and drizzle!
- What to serve with lemon chicken skewers: We love the simplicity of warm flatbread or pita, or even a little rice on the side. A big, hearty green salad is also fantastic, quinoa is delicious as well!
Craving more cozy, light and healthy recipes? Check out these Chicken Kebab Wraps with Easy Tzatziki Ssuce, these Grilled Lemon Chicken Flatbread Wraps, this Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Pesto, this Chicken Burrito Bowl, or this Lemon Chicken Bowl with Pesto!
Cook's Note: This recipe was originally published in 2016, and has been updated with even more love!