Grilled lemon chicken flatbread wraps are a favorite healthy lunch or light dinner option prepared with lots of bright flavor. Made with simple and delicious ingredients, these savory sandwich wraps feature tender and juicy lemon chicken and a mildly spicy, utterly addicting garlic sauce!
Sandwich Wraps all wrapped up with Grilled Lemon Chicken and a Spicy Garlic Sauce
The sound and aroma of skewers of tender chunks of spice-marinated chicken sizzling away on a grill gets me hungry!
Because I'm a huge fan of sandwich wraps, I love that delicious grilled chicken tucked into a flatbread wrap with lots of bright flavor, cool greens and juicy slices of fresh tomato, all folded up together with a creamy and crave-worthy sauce.
Many little cafes and coffee houses offer healthy sandwich wraps on their menus, and often they're quite tasty, but sometimes I feel like they don't quite pack enough of the flavors that I personally crave in a grilled chicken wrap.
So, me being me, I decided to consult my own tastebuds to come up with my personal take on what I consider to be the best chicken wrap!
My grilled lemon chicken flatbread wrap recipe is filled with juicy lemon chicken that's been sprinkled with some Middle Eastern spices to give it kick. But the most irresistible part? My mildly spicy garlic sauce!
The combo of ingredients in my garlic sauce has that wonderful “umami” flavor, that something indescribably savory and unique that keeps me craving bite after bite.
Quick to grill and put together, these juicy chicken wraps are the perfect meal to whip up when your own tastebuds are craving the flavors of lemon chicken and a spicy garlic sauce!
How to Make the Best Lemon Chicken Sandwich Wraps
To create a truly mouthwatering grilled lemon chicken sandwich wrap, being generous with the spices and seasonings is a great place to start. Adding lots of lemony brightness and that hint of tang from fresh lemon juice and zest is another huge pop of flavor, of course!
I typically allow the skewered chunks of chicken breast to marinate in some olive oil, fresh garlic and warm spices—cumin, coriander, oregano and paprika—for about 20 minutes. Then, I grill 'em up!
And that awesome garlic sauce that takes these wraps over the top? It's super quick and easy to whisk up in a bowl with a bit of mayo, sour cream, garlic, tahini, sriracha and a pinch of cayenne. You can make it more or less spicy—you decide!
Here's a little sneak peek at my grilled lemon chicken flatbread wraps recipe: (or just jump to the full recipe)
- To create that deliciously flavorful lemon chicken, I get things started by seasoning the chicken breast pieces with the lemon, garlic and spices, then skewer them and allow them to marinate for at least 20 minutes. (This can even be done overnight for extra flavor!)
- While the chicken marinates, I prep my spicy garlic sauce in a small bowl, and set that aside or even keep it chilled in the fridge.
- Next, I grill the chicken on my grill pan until golden-brown and juicy, allowing it to rest for a moment before sliding the pieces from the skewers.
- To assemble the wraps, I drizzle some of the garlic sauce over the flatbread, and add some greens and tomato slices; then I add some of the grilled lemon chicken and more garlic sauce, wrap things up, and enjoy!
Grilled Lemon Chicken Flatbread Wraps
by Ingrid Beer
Yield: 4 wraps
Nutrition Info: 681 calories (per wrap with 2 tablespoons of spicy garlic sauce)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 8 minutes
Total time: 28 minutes
Grilled Lemon Chicken Flatbread Wraps Ingredients:
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 2 large breasts), cubed into bite-size pieces
- Olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed through garlic press
- Zest of 1 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch or two black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 4 middle eastern-style flatbreads (you can use pita bread, as well)
- Arugula greens
- Sliced tomatoes
Spicy Garlic Sauce Ingredients:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream or full-fat, plain Greek yogurt
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed through garlic press
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 2 to 3 teaspoons sriracha (I used a lot more since I like mine spicy, so use your own judgement!)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper (again, you can use more, if you like it spicier)
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- Place the cubed chicken into a medium-size bowl, and drizzle in about 2 tablespoons of olive oil; add in the garlic, plus the remainder of the ingredients up to and including the paprika, and using your hands, toss all of the seasonings/spices very well to coat the chicken.
- Using 4 bamboo skewers (you can soak these in water first to prevent burning), skewer the chicken so that there is equal portions of meat on each skewer, and allow the chicken to marinate for about 20 minutes, or even overnight, if making ahead.
- While the chicken marinates, prep the garlic sauce by adding all the ingredients to a medium-size bowl, and whisking together until completely smooth and creamy; set aside, or keep in the fridge, covered. (I like to put mine in a plastic squeeze bottle, and keep any leftovers in the fridge to use for other sandwiches, or as a tasty condiment.)
- When ready to grill, place a grill pan over medium-high heat (you can certainly use your outdoor grill, as well), and drizzle in a little oil; once the oil gets hot, place the chicken skewers into the pan, and cook them for about 6-8 minutes, turning them occasionally so that they get a bit charred on all sides, or until cooked through; allow them to rest, lightly covered with foil, for about 5-10 minutes; then, remove the chicken cubes from the skewers and set aside.
- To assemble, add a little drizzle of the spicy garlic sauce onto the flatbread, followed by the greens; then, add a couple of slices of tomato, and about one skewer-worth of the lemon chicken; drizzle over a generous amount of the spicy garlic sauce, and fold the sides towards the middle to form a “wrap” (you can even use some parchment paper or foil to hold it all together, if you'd like).
Tips & Tidbits for my Grilled Lemon Chicken Flatbread Wraps:
- Allow some time for marination: Twenty minutes worth of marination is a good amount of time to allow the lemon zest/juice and spices to penetrate the chicken; but marinate for longer (even overnight) if you'd like even more flavorful lemon chicken!
- Soak the bamboo skewers in water: To help reduce the chance of the bamboo skewers burning too much, I like to soak them in some warm water for a few minutes before adding the chicken pieces.
- Grill pan, or outdoor grill: For convenience, I just use my little indoor grill pan to grill my chicken skewers; but you can certainly use your outdoor grill to impart more “smokiness”.
- Sub yogurt in the garlic sauce: The recipe for the garlic sauce calls for both mayo and sour cream, but you can sub plain, full-fat Greek yogurt for one or even both of those.
- Where to find tahini: Tahini is a paste made from ground sesame seeds that looks like a nut butter, and is typically found in the section of the market where the nut butters are found.
- Prep ahead for easy grilled lemon chicken flatbread wraps: To expedite things, you can marinate and skewer the chicken, and prep your garlic sauce the day before you plan on grilling and serving the sandwich wraps. The day of, simply grill the chicken, and assemble the wraps!
Cook's Note: This recipe was originally published in 2015, and has been updated with even more love!