A delectably sweet and juicy summer dessert, my grilled plums with mascarpone makes for a light and healthy option that's quick and easy to prepare. Made with ripe plums of the season, lightly kissed with cinnamon and honey before grilling, then topped with a cool and creamy vanilla-kissed dollop of sweetened mascarpone, a sprinkle of crunchy pine nuts plus a drizzle of vanilla honey, these grilled plums make for a fresh and fruity treat!
A Plum Pick for Dessert
Making use of the fresh stone fruits that summer brings and turning them into delicious, luscious and healthy desserts is something that I love to do.
From my recipe for summer fruit crostatas, peach galettes, grilled peaches, apricot scones, nectarine crumb tarts, to my recipe for juicy apricot jam, I love how they're loaded with fresh aromatic peaches, nectarines, apricots and plums, and all the sweet delight that they bring.
Preparing fresh stone fruit on the grill is a fantastic way to go, as we love to do with these grilled plums, and with creamy mascarpone dolloped into their centers.
Lightly sweetened before grilling, these plums become naturally flavorful when gently warmed through with a quick trip to a grill pan or outdoor grill, making for a plum pick as a healthier dessert during the warm and sunny months.
Elegant yet rustic, and very quick and easy to whip up, my grilled plum recipe with mascarpone and toasted pine nuts is a terrific option when something fresh, fruity, and sweet is what you crave!
My Recipe for Grilled Plums with Mascarpone and Pine Nuts
I just love when an elegant dessert has just a small list of ingredients, and is incredibly quick and easy to prepare, don't you?
All that's basically needed for this grilled plums recipe is a handful of ripe plums that are soft (though not mushy), a little honey, cinnamon, mascarpone, vanilla and pine nuts.
A touch of neutral oil helps the plums not to stick to the grill, and some fresh mint leaves act as a nice little garnish.
These grilled plums take only minutes to prepare, and the result is a simple, pretty, and deliciously flavorful dessert, perfect for the summer grilling season!
Here's a sneak peek at my grilled plums recipe with mascarpone: (or just jump to the full recipe...)
- To get started, I add my halved and pitted plums to a bowl, drizzle on a very small amount of neutral oil, add a generous sprinkle of cinnamon and honey, then toss it all together to coat the plums.
- Next, I grill for just a few minutes until the plums are softened, warmed through, getting those nice grill marks.
- Then, I prepare the sweetened mascarpone and my vanilla honey.
- To serve, I add a few grilled plums to a small plate, top with a spoonful of the mascarpone in the center of each, sprinkle over a few pine nuts, and drizzle over some of the vanilla honey. I garnish with a little mint leaf, and serve!
Grilled Plums with Mascarpone
by Ingrid Beer
These grilled plums are kissed with cinnamon and honey, and topped with a cool, sweetened mascarpone, pine nuts and vanilla honey!
Yield: Serves 4
Nutrition Info: 313 calories per serving
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- 10 small, ripe plums, halved and pits removed
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons honey, divided use
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus a sprinkle for garnish
- 4 ounces mascarpone (about ½ cup)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, divided use
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts, for garnish
- 4 leaves fresh mint, for garnish
- Begin by gathering and prepping all of the ingredients according to the ingredient list above to have ready and organized for use.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the halved and pitted plums with the vegetable oil, 1 tablespoon of the honey and the ¼ teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium heat.
- Once the grill pan is hot, place the plums cut-side down on the grill pan, grill for about 2-3 minutes or until they begin to caramelize and get grill marks, and are warmed through and juicy. Remove from the grill and place onto a clean plate to keep warm while the sweetened mascarpone and vanilla honey are prepared.
- In a small bowl, combine the mascarpone with 1 tablespoon of the honey and ½ teaspoon of the vanilla, and whisk together with a fork until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- In another small bowl or a ramekin, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of honey with the remaining ½ teaspoon of vanilla, and set aside.
- To assemble and plate, place five grilled plum halves onto each plate and spoon a heaping teaspoon-size dollop of the sweetened mascarpone in the center of each plum where the pit was.
- With a spoon, drizzle a bit of vanilla honey over the plums, and sprinkle on a few of the toasted pine nuts over top. Sprinkle over just a touch of ground cinnamon, and garnish with a mint leaf.
Tips & Tidbits for my Grilled Plums with Mascarpone recipe:
- Ripe and juicy plums: I typically use traditional plums, ruby-skinned and yellow-fleshed, but you can use your favorite variety. Opt for ripe plums that have some give to them, yet are not mushy or overly soft, so they can withstand the grilling.
- Mascarpone cheese, or whipped cream: Rich and creamy mascarpone, lightly sweetened with honey and vanilla, makes for a really nice topping to these grilled plums, but you could sub whipped cream for a delicious alternative as well!
- Crunchy pine nuts, or your favorite nut: Toasted pine nuts offer some nutty crunch here, but other good options are sliced or slivered almonds, walnuts, pistachios or pecans.
Craving more sweet and fruity desserts? Check out my Strawberry Oatmeal Bars, Peach Galette, Lemon Blueberry Cake, Blueberry Bars, Lemon Cheesecake Bars, Cherry Turnovers, Lemon Bundt Cake, or my Strawberry Cake!
Cook's Note: This recipe was originally published in 2012, and has been updated with even more love!