I have a feeling that one of the secrets to a rich and happy life is finding some pleasure and inspiration in the “little things”, those things that can often be overlooked or glossed over, those precious people and considerate gestures that are taken for granted many times.
Life leaves little gifts for us every day, little inspirations that are meant to touch us, awaken us, uplift us, and, well, inspire us to be all that we can be, to do all that we can do, and to shine as brightly as we can possibly shine.
I thought it would be a good exercise for me to sit down and consciously seek out and contemplate some of those little inspirations, those things that make a difference and mean something to me.
I wanted to be reminded of what brings color to life, or creates a desire in me to be a better person, or causes me to strive to continue reaching for the stars.
And here's a handful that came to mind for me:
- I'm inspired by someone who is willing to trust me enough to prepare a recipe of mine, or to partake of the food that I prepare for them, taking it into their body, being open and vulnerable in that way.
- I'm inspired by the thoughtful love notes that my husband leaves for me every morning when I must wake up early and get ready to go to my client's home.
- I'm inspired when I see someone set aside something that they are doing, without an ounce of bad attitude or resentment, in order to help another person out when they're in need of help.
- I'm inspired by one who is willing to admit when they have been wrong, or have behaved badly.
- I'm inspired by someone who is willing to see something from someone else's perspective.
- I'm inspired by a display of empathy and compassion.
- I'm inspired when I see two opposites (whether people or forces), who shouldn't be connecting, coming together and connecting.
- I'm inspired by a genuine show of emotion, where real vulnerability is displayed.
- I'm inspired when I see people put their phones and devices away and just be present with the actual people they are with, and pay attention to them.
- I'm inspired when I see good manners and respect for others in small children and teenagers.
- I'm inspired when I see civility and the simple use of “please” and “thank you” in adults.
- I'm inspired by every parent that whole-heartedly loves their child and puts them as a priority in their life, and helps to nurture their child's unique gifts, guiding them to maturity.
- I'm inspired by my immigrant parents who came to this country with nothing except for two suite cases and their desire to be American citizens, who created a rich, loving, successful, and fulfilling life for themselves as well as for me.
- I'm inspired when someone shares a personal story with others, and is willing to open their heart and be courageous and transparent.
- I'm inspired when I see someone receive another's personal story and treat it with respect and as a gift, and show gratitude for that person's desire to connect and share, and trust.
- I'm inspired by all the talented craftsmen and women who take pride in their passions and make our world a more colorful and flavorful place by often taking risks (especially in opening a business) and sharing their unique offerings with us.
- I am inspired by our military service members (my son included) that are so often willing to go through much discomfort and sacrifice, physical and emotional challenges and pain, in order to serve and protect the rest of us.
- I'm inspired by anyone with a strong work ethic, and an attitude of “sticking to it” and seeing something through to fruition.
- I am inspired by generosity and a desire to share what one has with another.
- I am inspired by you for providing me with this opportunity to share a part of myself, and for you sharing a part of yourself with me through your heartfelt comments and emails.
These are the things, the people, the situations, the moments that inspire me and give me hope...
When I think of them, my heart is filled with gratitude and a desire to be and to do better, and that is what hope is all about.
What are you inspired by?
Taste what's good and pass it on.