This juicy chicken burger is a fantastic option when you're craving a delicious sandwich packed with zesty, south-of-the-border flavor!
No Ordinary Chicken Burger
Now, let me just start by saying that this is no ordinary, throw-some-ketchup-on-it chicken burger. It's one that has some really zippy flavors and toppings that kick this burger up more than a few notches!
First, the chicken breasts themselves are marinated in several spices plus lime zest and juice. Then, they're grilled off (you can use either your outdoor grill or indoor grill pan for this), and topped with pepper-jack cheese.
But it doesn't end there!
These succulent chicken burgers are then smothered with a generous dollop of a homemade spicy guacamole (you can control the level of “heat”), plus sweet, caramelized red onions to go along with fresh lettuce and tomato slices.
Now, doesn't that chicken burger sound ridiculously mouthwatering and tempting?
Talk about flavor galore! 🙂
Here's my chicken burger recipe at a glance (or you can just jump to the full recipe):
- Since I love avocado as a topper on a chicken burger, I begin by preparing my easy, spicy guacamole according to my recipe below.
- Next, I slice my chicken breasts in half lengthwise to create thinner cutlets, and marinate those in my spices/seasonings and lime.
- While the chicken marinates, I caramelize my red onions, and set aside to keep warm.
- Then, I grill my chicken breasts, top with cheese, and place them under the broiler for a moment or two just until the cheese is melted.
- Finally, I assemble the chicken burgers by adding some lettuce and tomato to the bottom bun, and then topping the cheesy, grilled chicken with the spicy guacamole and the caramelized red onions.
by Ingrid Beer
Yield: Serves 4
Nutrition Info: 563 calories (per burger)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Chicken Burger Ingredients:
• 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, sliced in half lengthwise to create 4 thinner cutlets
• Avocado or olive oil
• Black pepper
• 2 cloves garlic, pressed through garlic press
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• Zest & juice of 1 lime
• 2 red onions, sliced into semi-circles
• 4 slices pepper-jack cheese
• Sliced tomatoes
• Toasted buns
Spicy Guacamole Ingredients (makes extra to enjoy with chips):
• 3 medium-large, ripe avocados, skin and pit removed
• Zest and juice of 1 lime
• 1/4 cup (packed) fresh cilantro leaves
• 3 green onions, roughly chopped
• 1/2 teaspoon salt (plus an extra pinch, if needed)
• 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more of less depending on desired heat level)
- If preparing the spicy guacamole, begin by preparing that: place all the ingredients into the bowl of a food processor, and process until completely smooth and creamy; spoon into a bowl and use immediately, or, cover and keep in fridge until ready to use (or any unused portion, as well).
- To prepare the chicken burgers: place the chicken cutlets into a small bowl, and add in about 2 tablespoons of the oil, about 1 teaspoon of the salt, about 1/4 teaspoon of the black pepper, the garlic, cumin, chili powder, and lime zest and juice, and toss together; marinate the chicken for 20-30 minutes, or even overnight if making ahead.
- Meanwhile, place a cast-iron or large, non-stick pan over medium-high heat, and drizzle in about 3 tablespoons of the oil; once hot, add in the sliced red onion, plus a pinch or two of the salt and pepper (even a tiny pinch or sugar, if you'd like) and caramelize/grill the onions for about 8-10 minutes, or until golden-brown and sweet; set aside to hold.
- To grill the chicken, place a grill pan over medium to medium-high heat, and add add the chicken breasts (work in batches if necessary); grill for about 3-4 minutes on that first side, then flip and grill another 3-4 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through; hold warm and on a plate, and repeat until all chicken is grilled.
- Preheat the broiler on high.
- Add a slice of cheese to each grilled chicken breast and place them on a baking sheet and under the broiler just for a minute or two to melt the cheese.
- To assemble the chicken burgers, add some of the greens and tomato to the bottom bun, top with a cheesy chicken breast, and then top with some of the spicy guacamole and some of the grilled red onions; top with bun, and serve hot.
Tips & Tidbits for the Perfect Chicken Burger:
- Larger chicken breasts: If you happen to have two larger skinless, boneless chicken breasts, these are great because you can slice through them lengthwise to create four thinner cutlets. Thinner cutlets allow for quicker grilling/cooking of the chicken, plus make the burger easier to take bites out of.
- Marinate for flavor: Marination of the chicken breasts provides a lot more flavor to this chicken burger, so if you can, try to marinate for at least 20-30 minutes, or 10-15 at minimum. You can also marinate overnight if preparing ahead, for extra flavor.
- Homemade spicy guacamole, or store-bought: My recipe for the guacamole topper is not all that spicy (you can add more or less of the red pepper flakes, or even none at all), and is very easy to whip up in your food processor or even in a bowl with a fork. Plus, it yields extra so you can enjoy it with chips! But feel free to use store-bought guacamole in a pinch. 😉
- Prep ahead for an easy chicken burger recipe: To prep ahead, you'd simply marinate the chicken, prepare the guacamole (if making), and caramelize the sliced red onions. Then the day you plan to serve the burgers, simply re-heat the onions, grill the chicken, and assemble with toppings.
Cook's Note: This recipe was originally published in 2016, and has been updated with even more love!