If you love shrimp fajitas and enjoy a tasty stir fry, then my zesty shrimp fajita stir fry is the perfect one skillet recipe for you. Filled with lots of bold flavor from the marinated, seared shrimp tossed together with ramen noodles, charred sweet bell peppers, onions and my easy fusion sauce, this shrimp fajita stir fry recipe is a delicious and colorful “fusion” recipe with a bit of kick!
When Shrimp Fajitas Meet Stir Fry
Getting a little creative with fun fusion dishes is one of my favorite things to do, and when those dishes are bold, colorful and loaded with flavor, little beats that in making my tastebuds happy!
Because I'm not one to pass up a hot, sizzling platter of shrimp fajitas, and also really enjoy a good stir fry recipe brimming with lots of colorful veggies and zippy ingredients, combining these two dishes into this zesty shrimp fajita stir fry seemed like a fantastic way to go.
I'm talking juicy, succulent shrimp marinated in spices for a bit of a kick, then seared off in a hot skillet and tossed together with twisty ramen noodles, strips of sweet red, yellow, and orange bell peppers, sliced onions, all combined with a savory-smoky “fusion” sauce to tie it all together.
This shrimp fajita stir fry is the best of both worlds... hot, sizzling and ready to dig into in no time!
My Recipe for Shrimp Fajita Stir Fry
I love the combination of flavors in this unique, fusion stir fry, with that little bit of smokiness and sweet-savoriness...
The way to achieve this is to simply marinate the shrimp in a combination of seasonings such as cumin, chili powder, garlic, lime zest and lime juice for that touch of zippy flavor.
Then, that delectable shrimp takes a trip into a screaming-hot skillet (love my cast iron for this!) to create that charred outer crust that gives the shrimp lots of delicious flavor.
Of course, no platter of fajitas is complete without slices of charred and caramelized peppers and onions, so I'm using a combination of red, yellow and orange bell peppers, plus strips of white onion for this.
My choice of noodle for this “twisty” stir fry recipe is ramen noodles, the ones that simply come from several packages of dry ramen noodle soup (I'm discarding the flavor packets for this), and cooking them for a couple of minutes according to package instructions.
All that's left is to add in my mouthwatering (and super simple!) fusion sauce made with a little hoisin and spices to coat and flavor all of those yummy ingredients, and the shrimp fajita stir fry is ready for the table!
Here's a sneak peek at my shrimp fajita stir fry recipe: (or just jump to the full recipe...)
- To get started, I marinate my shrimp for a short while.
- While the shrimp marinates, I prepare my easy fusion sauce to have on hand, and ready to go.
- Next, I cook my ramen noodles according to the package instructions, drain, and keep them warm.
- Then, I sear my marinated shrimp and remove it from the skillet, then sear/caramelize my peppers and onions.
- Next, I add into the pan my ramen noodles, my shrimp and about half of my fusion sauce, and toss everything together to coat.
- To serve, I garnish with some cilantro leaves, lime wedges, sesame seeds and touch more fusion sauce.
Shrimp Fajita Stir Fry
by Ingrid Beer
This shrimp fajita stir fry is loaded with smoky shrimp, ramen noodles, sweet bell peppers and onions, plus a mouthwatering fusion sauce!
Yield: Serves 4
Nutrition Info: 650 calories per serving
Prep Time: 40 minutes (includes marination time)
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Shrimp Fajita Stir Fry Ingredients:
- 1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp (16/20 size)
- Avocado oil
- 6 cloves garlic, pressed through garlic press, divided use
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 3 (3 ounce) packages ramen noodle soup, ramen noodles only
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ yellow bell pepper, sliced
- ½ orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1 white onion, quartered and sliced
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for garnish
Fusion Sauce Ingredients:
- ¾ cup hoisin sauce
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- Begin by gathering and prepping all of your shrimp fajitas stir fry ingredients according to the ingredient list above to have ready and organized for use.
- Place the shrimp into a large bowl, and drizzle in about 1-2 tablespoons of the oil. Add in 2 cloves worth of the pressed garlic, the chili powder, cumin, a pinch or two of the salt and pepper, as well as the lime zest and lime juice, and toss to coat. Marinate for about 20 minutes.
- While the shrimp marinates, gather and prep all of your fusion sauce ingredients according to the ingredient list above to have ready and organized for use.
- To prepare the sauce, whisk all ingredients together in a bowl, and set aside to have ready and on hand.
- Next, cook the ramen noodles according to package instructions, then drain and keep warm.
- To sear the shrimp, place a large cast-iron skillet (or a heavy-bottom skillet/pan) over medium-high heat, and drizzle in 3-4 tablespoons of oil. Once hot, add in the shrimp and sear on the first side for a couple of minutes, then flip them and sear them until golden-brown and cooked through. Remove from pan.
- nto the same skillet add a another drizzle of oil if needed, and add in the sliced bell peppers and onions, and allow them to sit in the skillet, undisturbed, for a few minutes, until a nice char forms. Stir and allow them to continue to char up a bit more, until slightly caramelized.
- Stir in the remainder of the pressed garlic, and toss in the cooked ramen noodles, coating them in the veggies.
- Add the shrimp back in, and drizzle in a little of the fusion sauce (start with about half) to coat things lightly and toss together, then turn off the heat.
- Serve the shrimp fajitas stir fry with another generous drizzle of the fusion sauce over individual portions, along with a few cilantro leaves, some sesame seeds, and a wedge of lime, if desired.
Tips & Tidbits for my Shrimp Fajita Stir Fry Recipe:
- 16/20 size peeled and deveined shrimp: I like to use large shrimp for this recipe (16/20 per pound), and typically purchase them already peeled and deveined. This helps save the time it takes to clean the shrimp, so if you can find this, choose this kind. Otherwise, use your preferred size shrimp, and clean and devein as needed, if not already cleaned.
- Use a heavy bottom skillet for good, flavorful char: Seeing as part of the deliciousness of fajitas is that yummy char on the shrimp and veggies, use a heavy bottom skillet (cast iron, if possible) to create that. Leave the shrimp undisturbed in the skillet, on each side, for several moments, just until cooked through, and also do the same for the peppers and onions to allow those to caramelized and sweeten.
- Hoisin sauce for a touch of Asian-fusion flare: Use a good quality prepared hoisin sauce to create that tasty fusion sauce for this shrimp fajitas stir fry recipe. It adds a touch of sweet-savoriness, and along with the sprinkle of spices, creates a deliciously unique sauce to toss this stir fry together with.
Hungry for more delicious and cozy fusion recipes? Check out this Korean BBQ Burger, this Naan Pizza, this Gumbo-Laya, this Philly Cheesesteak Stew, this Chicken Fajita Pizza, or these French Onion Meatballs!
Cook's Note: This recipe was originally published in 2017, and has been updated with even more love!