If you love fresh chicken spring rolls dipped in peanut sauce as much as I do, then you'll love my peanut chicken spring roll wrap as a quick and light meal. Rolled up using lavash, topped with creamy chili-garlic spread, sliced chicken, peanuts, cool cucumbers, carrots, mint and basil, this peanut chicken spring roll wrap recipe also comes with a delicious sweet and spicy peanut sauce for dipping!
A Spring Roll Turns Into a Wrap
When my hubs and I go out for some Asian-style appetizers, one of my absolute favorites is chicken spring rolls.
Cool, fresh and oh-so irresistible to me, spring rolls are packed with flavor in every delicate bite-full, with their slices of chicken, matchstick cucumbers and carrots, mint and basil.
And the best part?
The yummy, sweet and spicy peanut sauce served on the side for dipping—I always order an extra side of that!
Coming up with tasty and healthy wraps is something I love to experiment with, because they're convenient and quick to prepare, not to mention easy to grab-and-go as a light lunch that's easy to pack up.
So, creating a wrap inspired by my beloved spring rolls seamed like a delicious option, wrapped up with all those same mouthwatering flavors and crisp textures I love in classic chicken spring rolls, only in a heartier package that eats like a wrap!
My Peanut Chicken Spring Roll Wrap Recipe
The perfect way to go to create this spring roll wrap is to use thin and pliable lavash, a Middle Eastern flatbread.
Typically, classic spring rolls use thin and delicate rice paper, which is sticky and rather fragile to work with. And because I wanted something that was easy to roll up yet eats more like a sandwich, lavash is just the ticket.
I like to spread over top of the lavash a layer of creamy, mildly-spicy chili-garlic spread to tie all the flavors together and create a bit of a barrier between the lavash and the fresh ingredients.
Then, I add some shredded romaine greens, carrots, thin slices of chicken, plus some cool cucumbers cut into matchsticks.
And seeing as no traditional spring roll is complete without the addition of fresh herbs such as mint and basil, I add whole leaves of both into my spring roll wrap for that added flavor.
For the finale, I drizzle over top of the everything some of my easy sweet and spicy peanut sauce, roll everything up, and call it a wrap!
Here's a sneak peek at my peanut chicken spring roll wrap recipe: (or just jump to the full recipe...)
- To get stared, I prep my prep my chili-garlic spread to have on hand.
- Then, I easily whisk together my peanut sauce ingredients, to have ready to drizzle over everything and for extra dipping.
- Next, I prepare and cook my chicken, then slice it into thin strips to have ready.
- To assemble the wrap, I simply add a layer of chili-garlic spread to my lavash, followed by some shredded romaine, carrots, basil and mint, plus chicken, cucumber, and a generous drizzle of peanut sauce, and a sprinkle of crushed peanuts.
- I roll everything up nice and tight to create my wrap, then slice in half, and enjoy with extra peanut sauce on the side!
Peanut Chicken Spring Roll Wrap
by Ingrid Beer
This peanut chicken spring roll wrap with fresh cucumbers, carrots, basil and mint is drizzled with a sweet-spicy peanut sauce!
Yield: Serves 4 (half of a full wrap)
Nutrition Info: 380 calories (for half a wrap)
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 6 minutes
Total time: 31 minutes
- 4 chicken tenderloins
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- 2 pieces lavash flatbread
- ½ cup shredded romaine lettuce
- ¼ cup shredded carrots
- 1 Persian cucumber, sliced into thin, matchstick-type strips
- 4 fresh, whole basil leaves
- 4 fresh, whole mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped peanuts
Chili-Garlic Spread Ingredients:
- ¼ cup whipped cream cheese
- ¼ teaspoon chili-garlic sauce
Sweet-Spicy Peanut Sauce Ingredients:
- ¼ cup natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons reduce sodium soy sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon (or more, if desired) chili-garlic sauce
- Begin by gathering and prepping my chili-garlic spread ingredients according to the ingredient list above to have ready and organized for use.
- To prepare my chili-garlic spread, add all of the ingredients to a small bowl, and using a fork or spoon, mix the ingredients together until combined. Keep cold.
- Next, gather and prep all of your sweet-spicy peanut sauce ingredients according to the ingredient list above to have ready and organized for use.
- To prepare the peanut sauce, add all ingredients to a small bowl, and whisk to combine and blend until smooth. Keep in covered container at room temp for up to 1 day. (Leftovers can be refrigerated, but may thicken up a little. Simply allow the sauce to come to room temp to become more fluid.)
- Then, gather and prep all of your spring roll wrap ingredients according the ingredient list above to have ready and organized for use.
- To cook your chicken, add a drizzle of olive oil, plus sprinkle of salt and pepper, and heat a non-stick skillet. Once hot, add the chicken tenderloins and cook for about 3 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Allow to cool, then slice into thin strips.
- To assemble the spring roll wraps, place a lavash in front of you, and spread a very light amount of the chili-garlic spread over the entirety of the lavash wraps, getting to edges, as this will help to hold the ingredients once wrapped.
- Next, add about half of the shredded romaine lettuce to the bottom of each wrap, in a row, and top with about half of the shredded carrots. Sprinkle over some of the fresh basil and mint.
- Add half of the thinly sliced chicken over top, followed by the cucumber. Drizzle a tablespoon or two of the sweet and spicy peanut sauce over, plus a sprinkle of the chopped peanuts, and roll the wrap upwards fairly tightly. Set it on its seam to close.
- Repeat with the other lavash to create a second wrap, if desired.
- Cut the wraps on the bias, and serve half a wrap per person (or a full one, if for a fuller meal), along with a little extra peanut sauce on the side to dip, if desired.
Tips & Tidbits for my Peanut Chicken Spring Roll Wrap recipe:
- Lavash flatbread for easy rolling: I just love lavash for this recipe, as it is thin and pliable, and rolls up really nicely. Then, I just cut the rolled up wrap in half, and it ends up looking like a spring roll, and is easy to pack up as a portable lunch. You can also sub a tortilla or pita bread, even a gluten-free wrap, if preferred.
- Quick-seared chicken tenderloins, or rotisserie chicken: Whenever I want to cook some tender, juicy chicken for a quick wrap or meal, I typically like to use chicken breast tenderloins since they are small and succulent, and cook up in minutes in a hot skillet. For this spring roll wrap, I simply sliced them into thin, matchstick-style slices. For convenience, you can also use rotisserie chicken and just shred it up.
- Cool veggies and herbs for fresh flavor: Because lettuce, cucumbers and carrots are often used in spring rolls, I opt for shredded romaine and carrots, plus matchstick-style of slices of cucumbers here. If you desire, feel free to sub other veggies such as radishes, edamame, or cabbage.
- Sweet and spicy peanut sauce for drizzling or dipping: My peanut sauce is very quick and simple to whisk up in a small bowl, and is really delicious with this spring roll wrap. I like to drizzle some of the sauce directly into my wrap, but feel free to serve it on the side as well to dip the wrap into it!
Hungry for more cozy, delicious and healthy wraps? Check out this Grilled Lemon Chicken Flatbread Wrap with Garlic Sauce, this Crispy Chicken Wrap, this Salmon Wrap, this Falafel Wrap, or this BBQ Chicken Salad Wrap!
Cook's Note: This recipe was originally published in 2014, and has been updated with even more love!